Oh sweet summer, don’t we all love it when the seasons finally change and warm weather rushes over us? I mean, I personally do. My favorite time of the year is now. The air is free of humidity, rain is moderate, and sunny days seem never ending.
Summer’s start is definitely one that holds no comparison. After the long winter, endless bundling of layers, and all together snow warrior mode, everyone can finally be free (in a sense). There are no longer short days with bright light fading at 6 pm, but sunshine until 9 pm and a slew of birds chirping in the air. And not to mention beach days. I just took the liberty of changing up my closet to encompass more warm weather items. I greeted my bikinis, crop tops, t-shirt dresses and sandals with an ecstatic HELLO and packed up all my sweaters, wool dresses, as well as snow boots with a non-regretful GOODBYE.
It’s times like these, that make for the perfect backyard get together with friends. Supplying fruit salad, crispy chips paired with salsa, clams on the half shell, and a myriad of other offerings. My mouth drools just envisioning this imaginary event and planning out the guest list in my head. Yet, who doesn’t love a barbecue that is surrounded by people they love.
Truthfully, I could be called bias but there is no way I would want the next three months to fly by. I’d also be completely okay if time stood still for a while, as to not drive us back into winter any time soon. But, that’s just me.
With all these summery daydreams and thoughts, it seemed almost inevitable that a fruity, refreshing cocktail would be needed. That’s why today amid my total dream-girl-status thoughts, I curated a delicious Frozen Strawberry Mojito. Pungently sweet with the right spark of cooling mint to make my tastebuds match my brain’s seasonal change. The result? Pure joy.
- 10 Large Strawberries + more for garnish
- ¼ + ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of water
- 12 large fresh mint leaves + more for garnish
- 3 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 cup club soda
- 6 ounces Silver Rum
- First, make the strawberry puree. Remove the tops of the strawberries, cut them into quarters, and then blend them until relatively smooth. In a small saucepan, add the strawberries and the quarter cup of sugar, and stirring often, cook the mixture until it becomes gelatinous. Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve. Allow to cool
- Next, In a clean sauce pan, make the simple syrup. add the ½ cup of water and ½ cup of sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has a syrup consistency. Remove from heat, add mint leaves, and chill in refrigerator, ideally overnight.
- In a blender place 3 ounces of fresh lime juice, 6 ounces of rum , 6 ounces of strawberry puree, 3 ounces of mint simple syrup, and 1 cup of club soda. Fill with ice and blend until desired consistency is achieved. Split between three glasses, and garnish with fresh strawberries and mint.
If you make this beverage be sure to tag it #DrinksAndNoms